You would have thought this week’s basket world have brought more salads, and it should have! Here’s what we ate instead.
We still have more lettuce to use and a bundle of garlic scapes (in addition to what we harvested from our own garden)! We’ve frozen some of the extra peas, because we’re doing the same with what we’ve been getting from our garden, too!
A good mix of roots and leaves this week. I’m trying to plan a lot of quick meals good for a busy workweek with long hours, or at least with parts that can be prepped ahead of time.
- Blueberry waffles
- Whole roasted kohlrabi and pesto chicken
- Zucchini chicken enchilada casserole
- Pasta with sausage and peas
- Beet and freekeh salad (will serve over lettuce)
- Pasta with clam sauce
We’ll probably just eat the peaches plain and either turn the scapes into more pesto, or save them for another week.
Happy first week of fruit share! Unfortunately with the cold weather, the usual farms are not producing much yet, so our fruit this week came to us from Georgia!
As if you couldn’t tell from this week’s basket photo, we’re cooking with greens, greens, and more greens! You’ll see a lot of salads, but I’m trying to find other ways to use them, too.
- Pizza salad (lettuce topped with pepperoni, provolone, and olives and an Italian herb dressing)
- Chicken stir fry with bok choy
- Kale and mushroom lasagna but I plan to substitute collards for the kale
- Red chicken curry with spinach
- Kale salad
I feel I am in a bok choy rut. I love stir fry, but it feels repetitive even when I mix up the sauce flavors and ingredients. Send your suggestions!!!
I also made a quiche but we ate it before I got any photos! It doesn’t look like much here, but most of these meals made big batches that we enjoyed as leftovers all week.
We are rolling into week 3 still trying to finish leftovers from last week, so the meal list is fairly short for now. I suppose I unconsciously balanced what felt like so much meat last week with almost all meatless meals for the week ahead. If you’re looking to eat less meat, this is the week for you!
- Greek lentil salad with little gem romaine
- Tempeh stir fry with bok choy and cucumber salad
- Vegetarian Chili (I plan to use dried beans and fresh tomatoes and adjust this recipe for the Instant Pot pressure cooker)
- Quinoa bowl with crispy chickpeas and wilted dandelion greens
- Quiche with sausage and green garlic, leftover kale