If you though the basket couldn’t get more green and leafy after last week, you will be amazed at how much we got for Week 6! This may be the time to start stocking the freezer for later months, if it weren’t too hot to turn on the stove most days!
This recipe is a great way to use garlic scapes but can be customized for many different veggies. Cubed winter squash can be added before cooking, or puréed sunchokes can be added to finish the dish. The following is a template that you can adapt however you’d like to use up whatever’s in season! I also like to serve it with roast chicken or sausage to make a heartier meal.
1 large onion, diced
1 bunch garlic scapes, chopped (or substitute 2 cloves of minced garlic)
1 1/2 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups chicken broth or water
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, more for topping if needed
1. Set Instant Pot to Sauté. When hot, add 2 tablespoons or so of olive oil and the diced onion.
2. When onion is translucent, add garlic scapes and cook until softened slightly.
3. Add Arborio rice, stirring well, and toast for 3-5 minutes, until rice grains are slightly translucent.
4. Pour in wine and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cook until most of the liquid has cooked off or been absorbed.
5. Pour in broth. Put lid on Instant Pot and make sure bent it turned to close. Use the Manual setting to cook for 5 minutes.
6. When the time is up on the Instant Pot, switch the vent and manually release pressure. When pressure has been released and you’re able to open the lid, stir in the Parmesan cheese. The risotto will look very watery but will thicken up after cheese is added and upon stirring.
I’m planning to go out to eat more than normal this week (where normal means practically never!) so the meal list might seem a bit shorter than usual. You can assume every meal I’m eating at home that’s not on this list is some form of salad, in order to use up the head of lettuce leftover from last week and the enormous head we received this week!