I’m making a bit of an unscheduled update to show Friday night’s dinner. That’s Crispy Salmon with Wilted Chard which really is a perfect recipe. It became a go-to this winter and early spring when we seemed to have a constant supply.
But what I’m really here to share with you are these cheddar squash biscuits. Squash? In a biscuit? I was skeptical, but since basically hiding squash in recipes is the only way we prepare it (seriously, do any of the squash or zucchini recipes on here not involve shredding it?), I thought this was worth a try.
And the shocker?
It was pretty good!
The drop biscuits bake up fluffy and the combination of cheese and garlic makes it salty and savory. There are a few changes I’d make to the recipe, so I’ve written it out in full below.
Cheddar Squash Biscuits, adapted from Little House Living
2 cups Yellow Squash, shredded fine
3 cups Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
4 Tablespoons Butter, melted
1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
3/4 cup Milk
1. Preheat the oven to 400 and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Stir the shredded squash into the dry ingredients and toss to combine. Mix in the cheese, followed by the milk and butter. The batter will be super sticky!
4. Form into balls about 3 inches in diameter and place in prepared pan.
5. Bake 20 minutes until brown.
These would be excellent brushed with additional garlic butter while warm, too!
In keeping with the biscuit theme, we also had strawberries shortcakes/biscuits! Tough to mess this up, yet I overbaked the biscuits a little – they were tough and too dry on the outside. As you might guess from the picture, we suffered through and ate them anyways. In fact, we ate ALL of the strawberries and will have to go buy some more to enjoy with the rest of our biscuits.