During the summer, we typically make a crustless quiche every other week. It’s a great way to use up those non-lettuce leafy greens, and as you’ll see, the recipe is a perfect opportunity to use up many of the odds and ends hanging around the refrigerator. In fact, it’s not really a recipe, it’s more like an outline. Swap in any meat (or not), onions, and greens and you’re well on your way to a tasty breakfast, or lunch, or dinner!
Easy Crustless Quiche, inspired by The Bonjon Gourmet
1 cup milk (or a combo of milk and cream)
1/2 cup flour (or rice flour, gluten free mix, or other flour alternative)
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Meat – use a half pound breakfast sausage, 4-6 slices of thick-cut bacon, or a couple of cups of cubes ham or deli meat
Onions – this could be a diced white onion, several stalks of sliced green garlic, or the white and light green parts of a bunch of green onions
Greens – use 4-6 cups of washed and chopped kale, spinach, Swiss chard, any sturdy leafy green
Cheese – try about a cup shredded cheddar, crumbled goat cheese, cubes of feta or mozzarella
Herbs – add some thyme, parsley, chives, etc
Other – we like to top with sun-dried tomatoes, chive blossoms, and other tasty toppings
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. If meat isn’t already cooked, cook through in a skillet on the stovetop. Remove the meat when done but don’t wipe out the skillet. (Do drain some grease off if there’s more than a tablespoon or two.)
2. In the same skillet, add chopped onion ingredient and cook several minutes until softened. (If you didn’t need to cook meat, just cook onions in a skillet with a bit of olive oil.)
3. Add greens to the onions in the skillet and sauté until wilted. Set this aside and let it cool for a bit.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
5. Stir meat and onion and greens mixture into egg mix.
6. Stir in cheese and herbs, if using, to the egg mixture.
7. Pour into a baking spray-coated pie plate and bake for 45-55 minutes until center is just set.
3 thoughts on “What I Made – Crustless Quiche with Sausage, Green Garlic and Kale”
Pingback: What I’ve Planned – Week 3 | CSA in the Suburbs
Pingback: What I’ve Planned – Week 6 | CSA in the Suburbs
Pingback: What I’ve Planned – Week 10 | CSA in the Suburbs